From:   Andrew Rowley <and...@blackhillsoftware.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   19/02/2016 07:17
Subject:        Re: Introducing the New z13s: Tim's Hardware Highlights
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On 19/02/2016 05:15 PM, Timothy Sipples wrote:
> Andrew Rowley wrote:
>> I will make the same comment I made last time this topic came up -
>> avoiding garbage collection is not usually a wise goal.
> It depends on the workload(s). The point I made is that with the z13 and
> z13s you have more such options, when/as they make sense.
>
> To pick an example, I recall dealing with a Java workload that had an
> unresolved memory leak.

Memory leaks are not a usual case, but I would suggest you will still
want to garbage collect.

I'm not arguing against large memory - I am all in favour of as much as
you can afford. It's just the suggestion that avoiding Java GC is a good
idea.

I believe that Java is one of the keys to the future of z/OS.
Suggestions like "allocate enough memory that you don't have to GC"
contribute to the view that Java is a memory hog and performs poorly.
That is damaging to Java on z/OS and as a result damaging to z/OS as a
whole.

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.