On 2016-02-19 15:08, Gibney, David Allen,Jr wrote:

>> EBCDIC is a pain.  It should have been ASCII.  Or IBM should finish
>> implementation of Enhanced ASCII support.
>
> Can you really imagine the level of acceptance (NOT) that would have received
> 2.5 decades ago :)

I imagine that those clamoring for POSIX conformance had such a
background that they were familiar with ASCII, comfortable with
it, and would have welcomed it.

Although there's room to suspect a second agenda.  Those ostensibly
clamoring for POSIX were covertly trying to build a Trumpwall to
keep the mainframe out of their shops.  ASCII wouldn't have affected
that agenda.

-- gil