When we went to pure virtual tape, this is what we got back from IBM DFHSM L2:

PARTIALTAPE(REUSE) vs PARTIALTAPE(MARKFULL)
When using a virtual tape system, IBM usually recommends using
PARTIALTAPE(MARKFULL).

RECYCLE
You (or automation) need to issue the RECYCLE command, it is not automatic.
Also, if you want HSM to recycle multiple tape volumes onto one, you will need
to use a GENERIC recycle command, for example:
Use 'ALL' to recycle both ML2 and backup tape volumes:

    HSEND RECYCLE ALL PERCENTVALID(20) EXEC

Use 'ML2' to recycle only ML2 tape volumes:

    HSEND RECYCLE ML2 PERCENTVALID(20) EXEC

Use 'BACKUP' to recycle only backup tape volumes:

    HSEND RECYCLE BACKUP PERCENTVALID(20) EXEC

Suggested numbers for ML2RECYCLEPERCENT are 20% or 30%. This allows more
volumes to become eligible to be recycled onto fewer volumes at the same time.
For example:
VOL1 50%
VOL2 20%
VOL3 15%
VOL4  1%
With ML2RECYCLEPERCENT(1), only VOL4 will be recycled.  The next time you run
RECYCLE again, the same tape would be recycled again and again.  With
ML2RECYCLEPERCENT(25), VOL2, VOL3 and VOL4 would be recycled.  The resulting
percent used for the output tape will become 36%, so, that tape will not be
recycled again the next time around.

MAXRECYCLETASKS(nn).  Each recycle task requires an output tape.  If you allow
5 recycle tasks to run concurrently and have 5 tapes to recycle, you will land
up with 5 recycled tapes (no reduction).  If you increase the time between
recycles, this should also allow more tapes to become eligible to be recycled
onto fewer tapes.

If you have migrated to a new tape technology, the REUSE CAPACITY (this is an
average) will be incorrect leading to unneeded recycles.  With time however,
the REUSE CAPACITY will better reflect the reality of your new environment.

Hope this helps.

Lizette