One difference between SMC-R and SMC-D is that I believe SMC-D is available on z13 (GA2) and z13s processors at no additional charge, while SMC-R is a priced feature. This makes the cost of evaluating or even trying out SMC-D a lot lower, given a box that supports it.

If I recall correctly, some differences between Hipersockets and SMC-D are the better performance, higher bandwidth, and lower CPU consumption of SMC-D.

Roger Lowe wrote:
You may also want to checkout a tool called SMC Applicability Tool (SMCAT)
which may help you in determining the value of SMC-D (or SMC-R)

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/network/commserver/SMCR/

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie