Apparently for the DS8700 and above with an option called zDDB.

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieaa800/fbaasm.htm?locale=en

<quote>

z/OS FBA services

z/OS FBA services provides the ability to manage and perform I/O on z/OS
systems, exploiting the z/OS Distributed Data Backup (zDDB) multi-platform
access feature on DS8700 and subsequent model type devices. The new
application programming interface (API) provides functions to allocate,
read from, write to and deallocate z/OS FBA devices.

z/OS FBA devices are defined using the Hardware Configuration Dialog (HCD)
or Hardware Configuration Manager (HCM). z/OS FBA devices must be online in
order to be used by z/OS FBA Services.

z/OS FBA devices can be used in many ways. For example, z/OS FBA devices
can be used as a data transfer device between a z/OS system and a
distributed system. It can also be used as a shared data device between
z/OS and other systems. The z/OS FBA service encapsulates the management of
z/OS FBA devices and provides capability for I/O channel program creation
and execution from z/OS systems.

</quote>

--
"He must have a Teflon brain -- nothing sticks to it"
Phyllis Diller

Maranatha! <><
John McKown