So here is my issue:

We have a soft capped LPAR that runs our DB2 and CICS regions and during the
day some "marketing batch".  On Wednesdays, the marketing batch (online submit
via CICS) increases and by afternoon we hit our 4 hour soft cap.  Once or twice
while we are capped, the busiest CICS slow down to the point where some old
automation kicks in to kill transactions over 45 seconds old, some of these
transactions dump through DumpMaster, we then go to max sockets and more
transactions dump and in 10 - 30 seconds all is fine again.

What I see: The CICS regions have a DP around EC and are meeting their service
goal of 99% under .5 seconds.  But there are tens of thousands transactions
that have led to this.  The batch jobs (3-5 of them), while running 10 - 15 %
cpu have a DP of C0 and are in a discretionary level of the service class.  I
believe the problem lies with the DB2 service class.  That has a definition of
velocity at 66  and it tends to run below that when there is more contention in
the system.  The DP of the DB2 region is F6.

My theory:  when this brown out occurs the resources are maxed out and the CICS
regions being the ones that have meet their goal and will have to suffer many
transactions missing the service goal to make the DP go up.  They get hung up
just long enough to cause the delays that trigger the "panic" automation to
clear the stalled transactions.  Chaos breaks out!

My proposal:  A.  limit the batch jobs to a max of three by controlling open
initiators for their job class.  B.  change the DB2 velocity to 60  C.  Starve
the CICS service goal by reducing it to 99% in .4 forcing his DP to be a little
more desperate.

Thoughts?

TIA,

Tracy