For those of you who would like to attempt to recreate Connor's feat,
especially if you have understanding parents, you may wish to consider this
auction:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=452&acctid=3678

This z10BC machine is two model generations newer than Connor's z890
machine, but the higher asking price naturally reflects that. (Connor got a
great deal.) Like Connor's z890, storage is not included. According to the
listing, this z10BC machine has ESCON, FICON, and 1000BASE-T connectivity,
one IFL, and a PCI rating of approximately 127 with two CPs (G02 capacity
model). The FICON connectivity is rather interesting since, as I understand
it, it should be able to negotiate a link with FICON/FCP-attached storage
of practically any vintage. Not necessarily a *fast* connection, but a
connection. This particular machine is configured with 32 GB of memory, so
it's quite realistic to run multiple LPARs. It's compatible with all
current IBM operating system and software releases, to my knowledge,
although z/VM 6.3 will be the last release to support the z10BC. The z10BC
was introduced in late 2008. It'd be a fine addition to the finest home
data center. Assuming you can get it up and running, it will support your
most mission-critical home workloads.

Happy bidding. And no, I have no affiliation with the University of
Connecticut.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com