> One of the things I found appalling is that there is not a single
> example of how to allocate an EAV dataset in the cylinder-managed space
> anywhere in any IBM doc.  You can find EATTR=OPT if you know to look for
> it, but do a search on how to allocate an EAV dataset.  Nothing.
When I tried that on an ADCD system about two years ago with my own 100000cyl
EAV, I found the same thing. I got lucky in that I had some presentation handy
that directed me to the EATTR attribute. I remember that I spend almost an hour
trying to figure it out.

> So if you want to use EAV's, make them SMS.  That way you can set
> EATTR(OPT) in all your DATACLASses and fuhgeddabotit.  Non-SMS EAV's
> don't make a whole lotta sense, unless updating thousands of JCL members
> is  your thing.
I *was* using an SMS-managed EAV. I went through several iterations in the
dataclass until I got it right. I promptly forgot how I did it, though. All I
needed was the track managed space filled with a huge (but empty) data set, and
then a small data set in cylinder managed space, just to have an example for
testing. Of course the product(s) were unable to deal with DSCB8/9's.

I remember that I had not gotten the management class right, so the huge thing
got migrated to ML1 (since it was basically empty, it apparently got severely
compressed). Let me tell you that it was a real problem trying to recall that
data set, because it didn't want to go back to the one and only EAV and failed
allocation on my small mod9's. I think I ended up hdeleting it and
reallocating. :-(

Barbara