On 5/19/2016 9:54 AM, Phil Smith III wrote:
The surprise here was that since R14 had something in the top half of the
grande register, Bad Things resulted (S0C4) on the line with comment "ADDR
SYST LINKAGE TABLE". This seemed.unintuitive. Are we the only ones who were
(or have been) surprised by this? Should we have known better somehow?
Should that macro be doing an XGR, maybe?

You did not tell the z/OS macros the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about your execution environment. If you had issued a SYSSTATE AMODE64=YES when you switched into AMODE 64 the macro would have generated a LLGT instead of a L instruction. This is discussed in the z/OS books.
Greg