funny? not sure. I'll vote for sad. Although a mainframe is claimed to be a
general purpose machine, it doesn't fit all. but, at least, many that are
using other platforms and languages. The problem I hear from clients is
pricing. they don't really care for developers, Cobol is popular on other
platforms as well, and it is popular because it fits into clients needs. It
take few weeks to teach Cobol (done that, taught that). What clients
THINK!s (I don't think IBM is still using this slogan any more, do they?)
is that the TCO of the mainframe is not affordable, and I am talking about
the largest mainframe shops we have (and had) here.

So, my advise is not to find new uses to the mainframe, just make it
affordable for clients. If the number of shops will grow (traditional
mainframe use), the number of universities will use and teach Mainframe.
BTW, a college in In north of Israel offered students a free course of
mainframe. Many of them took the full program and now are assembler
programmers...

The way the market is constructed only few giant clients dictate the the
change in the industry. Most clients don't care for new hardware features
that brings new models in and obsolete 5 years boxes. I still remember the
crazy days that IBM released two zOS versions a year. all these upgrades
cost money to clients, no surprise they think TCO is much to hugh. so the
botom line is don;t look for nbew uses, find new accounts and save the
mainframe.

My two cents,

ITschak

ITschak Mugzach
Z/OS, ISV Products and Application Security & Risk Assessments Professional