I'm not sure why you'd think it may have problems punching/printing PDS members
that happen to contain JCL which happens to contain IEBPTPCH commands. It's all
just data to IEBPTPCH.

One of the examples in the documentation is to "copy a card deck". Yes, there
are limitations. 80 bytes of data for punching (what is wanted here), and 96
bytes for printing, apparently. Strong implication at least that it is
fixed-length only for input.

It is documented, you could consider giving it a whirl with something else and
lettings us know.

I did assume since the question was about looking through programs that it
would be fixed-length 80-byte records, which I know for sure works.