I have a POSIX C++ application running as a started task. At a customer the
code reported a Signal 3. Looking at signal.h I see that Signal 3 is
SIGABRT, and looking at the C library reference I see that SIGABRT is
triggered by a call to abort(), which in turn may be caused by a call to
terminate(). But there are no explicit calls to either abort() or
terminate() anywhere in the source code.

My code is very good about putting out messages for abnormal conditions.
There were no preceding messages.

I'm an MVS guy. I know what a S0C1, S222 or SB37 is but I confess I am not
fully up to speed on signals. What the heck would cause an apparently
spontaneous Signal 3?

Charles