It's the bar!  Only 4KB thick, a big improvement over what I originally
called* the bar from x'80000000' through x'FFFFFFFF'.  That one however, is
now available for certain uses, although I would avoid it for the same
reasons it was originally black-listed.

*In no way is this a claim I have naming rights.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >x'7FFFEFFF'
> >> >
> >> That might be due to a requirement of ANSI C that there always be an
> >address
> >> algebraically greater than that of any accessible object, for loop
> >termination
> >> conditions.
> >
> >  Not likely.  It has been that way since the first release of MVS/XA,
> >circa 1982. That was a time when MVS still ruled with arrogance, and it
> >would takes some doses of marketplace reality changes a few years later
> >before
> >MVS became interested in accommodating C and Unix.
>
> In any case, "ANSI" C didn't exist until (I think) 1989, though the
> standardization effort began in 1983. So the technique is certainly older
> than ANSI C, and not related to it.
>
> --
> Walt

sas