On 22/06/2016 10:12 PM, John McKown wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 9:01 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 22/06/2016 9:28 PM, Charles Mills wrote:

I was *real* disappointed with Slickedit. I downloaded a trial and had
great
hopes. I wrote and asked them about the missing instructions and at least
one instruction that was wrong (LTR). THEY NEVER EVEN REPLIED OR
ACKNOWLEDGED. For a $300 product I would expect slightly better support
than
that.

OMG, that's like you've just insulted my wife ;)

AFAIK, it's the only editor that does support HLASM. And has fancy
features like a defs pane which shows all labels and selective display
which folds code so you can expand a block with a click of the mouse or my
favorite the keyboard. TBH, for assembler I still use ISPF but for C/C++
I haven't found a better editor than Slickedit and I've tried them all.
When I'm on a headless Linux box I've trained myself to use VIM which is
actually
very good when you're past the pain barrier.

​vim? pain? I guess you've never tried Emacs (it has been said that random
line noise is probably a valid Emacs key sequence). [grin] For short edits,
I use vim. For more intensive editing, I use gvim. That's vim with a GUI
interface. The cut'n'paste is easier to do. As is saving via a button;
rather than exiting insert mode back to command mode to do the :w (write)
command, then back to insert mode.​

I used to prefer Emacs but then when I got my head around vi I stuck with it because it's the default editor and now I'm totally comfortable with it. Even using the text UI in a shell it's not to difficult to copy-and-paste once you learn how. With Slickedit I don't use the mouse so as a keyboard guy it kind of stuck once I learned the basics. vi in the hands of a master is a very sharp tool. I don't claim to be a master!

Charles