Use of properly architected dataset ALIAS names for use in APPLICATION JCL is
my preferred option.
Been using it for many years.

Alternatively, use of INCLUDE MEMBER statements to include product versioned
dataset names is possible, but gets messy across JES Multi-Access Spool
environments during new sysres rollouts.

Using System Symbols, and SYMBOLICRELATE alias names, can simplify all ALIAS
maintenance. Is also allows quick identification of product version in use in
the system

Anything which stops APPLICATION JCL changes is preferred.

Ensure all sysres based product datasets include a product version quialifier.
The ALIAS does not contain any version information.

Regards
Bruce Hewson