Awesome, Kolusu, thanks a lot!!!

-----------------------------------
It is quite simple to verify the number of records and validate it against
the trailer record and if the record count match the return code is 0 and
if the count is off then the return code is set to 4.

I assumed that the trailer record is not counted as part of the record
count. If it is indeed counted then simply remove the ",START=0" on the
INREC statement.

Use the following JCL

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN   DD *
RECS=00005
//SORTOUT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD *
  OPTION COPY
  INREC OVERLAY=(81:SEQNUM,5,ZD,START=0)

  OUTFIL NULLOFL=RC4,
  INCLUDE=(1,5,CH,EQ,C'RECS=',AND,
           (06,5,ZD,EQ,81,5,ZD))
//*

The above job will end with RC=4 as there are only 4 records but the
trailer says 5 records.

Further if you have any questions please let me know

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation