Interesting. Thanks.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 3:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Where is format of Job ID documented?

On 6/15/2016 1:38 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
> Yeah, I know, JOBnnnnn or Tnnnnnnn.
>
> Is there a formal description somewhere? Where?

The reason the jobid is not documented is that it can be anything.
Literally any values can be specified on the JOBNAME=, JOBID=, and USERID=
keywords of the IAZXJSAB CREATE macro so, depending on which software product
or component is creating the output, you could have all kinds of crazy values
appear -- basically whatever naming convention works best for that product.

Most products don't do this, so their output inherits the values from the
scheduled job. APPC/MVS and OMVS have been mentioned. APPC/MVS passes its own
special TP jobname and TP jobid (Annnnnnn). OMVS passes its own special
jobname, but simply propagates the JES jobid of the address space under which
it happens to be running which means, if it's a BPXAS address space, you will
get STCnnnnn/Snnnnnnn for JES2 and JOBnnnnn/Jnnnnnnn for JES3.

(E)JES provides an advanced feature, when copying spool output to sysout, that
allows you to propagate identification information from the original job, which
facilitates -- among other things -- JES-generated banner pages similar to the
original. To illustrate my point, I did a temporary recompile specifying
JOBNAME==C'YOURENOT' and JOBID==C'CRAZYBOY' and the result displayed in (E)JES
was:

OUTPUT   2,290S  2,225J  45T  9,415,891 Records (0 Sched)  88 Pages
Command ===>
Cmd JobName  JobID    Status  C Pri Dest              ODisp Records
--- -------- --------/------- - --- ----------------- ----- ----------
     YOURENOT CRAZYBOY QUEUED  T 144 LOCAL             WRITE 87

STATUS   2,290S  61X  2,402W  1H  45T  9,777,431 Records  88 Pages
Command ===>
Cmd JobName  JobID    Status     Queue    JP Pos Records
--- -------- --------/---------- -------- -- --- ----------
     YOURENOT CRAZYBOY QUEUED     PRINT    15  2K         87

The JES2 DISPLAY command output shows:

$HASP686 OUTGRP=YOURENOT.1.1,BURST=NO,FCB=****,
$HASP686 FLASH=****,FORMS=STD,HOLD=(NONE),
$HASP686 OUTDISP=WRITE,PRIORITY=144,
$HASP686 PRMODE=LINE,QUEUE=T,
$HASP686 RECORDS=(87 OF 87),ROUTECDE=LOCAL,
$HASP686 SECLABEL=,TPJOBID=CRAZYBOY,
$HASP686 TPJOBN=YOURENOT,TSOAVAIL=NO,UCS=****,
$HASP686 USERID=EDJAFFE,WRITER=

I didn't try this under JES3 but, trust me, you will get similar results.

Even SDSF is able to display this information on the OUTPUT display.

SDSF OUTPUT ALL CLASSES ALL FORMS    LINES 9,415,891   LINE 3341-3401 (3451)
COMMAND INPUT ===> SCROLL ===> CSR
NP   JOBNAME  JobID    Owner    Prty C Forms    Dest Tot-Rec
      YOURENOT CRAZYBOY EDJAFFE   144 T STD LOCAL                     87