OPEN with no FILE STATUS for the file, and no DECLARATIVES for the file, will
get a U4038 if it fails, a Language Environment abend.

Yes, having defined a FILE STATUS it should *always* be checked. The
consequences of not checking far outweigh any "saving".

FILE STATUS cannot prevent/identify the "file full" stuff. Without system
software to "deal" with an X37, that's just the X37 abend.

You can code an LE Abend Handler to identify the X37s (and lots of other
things).