There is a weird way to embed subroutines in machine instructions right into
Cobol code by:

a) defining them [fully assembled] as a WORKING-STORAGE literal
b) setting address of a PROCEDURE-POINTER to address of that literal
c) calling the PROCEDURE-POINTER

And no, I don't recommend you actually use this approach, unless really
desperate.

-Victor-

============================
Hello Listers,

First off, does anyone know of an IBM COBOL related list? If so, could you
point me in that direction.

Now, to my question.

I can code an assembler solution, or even a hybrid COBOL/Assembler solution,
but what I would truly love would be a COBOL only solution.
My need is to be able to determine if a QNAME/RNAME combination is held by
another address space in the system.
Stated another way, is there any way to use an "ENQ
(QNAME,RNAME,S,SYSTEM),REQ=TEST" from a COBOL program using COBOL only
procedural statements?

As I said, I can code an assembler program to issue the ENQ, but because I may
not always be the one supporting the code, I need to keep it in a language most
of our shop knows.

In another direction, is there an LE service routine that could issue the ENQ
TEST?

Thanks to All,
Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:chuck.har...@thermofisher.com>
Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
EAS Information Technology

Thermo Fisher Scientific
300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230
chuck.har...@thermofisher.com<mailto:chuck.har...@thermofisher.com>  |
www.thermofisher.com