On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:23:05 +0200, Peter Hunkeler wrote:
>I'm not sure whether the text is inspected by WTO or only later by CONSOLE
>when displaying on consoles. The later would make sense to me. You want to
>avoid that strange things happen when strange data is displayed on terminals
>(consoles). Syslog is actually nothing but a data set consting of records.
>Should be able to cope with any byte content.

Decades ago, when I was new to TSO (and Rexx wasn't available), I noted
empirically
that TSO was insensitive to case for commands entered at the READY prompt.  I
tried using this concept writing a CLIST.  Overgeneralized.  I got:
    IKJxxxxE UNKNOWN COMMAND 'DO'.

Well, I had typed "do".  The TMP tried to parse it asis, failed, then
translated it
to majuscule to issue the message, thereby obfuscating the nature of the error.

Somewhat similarly, if I enter on most ISPF command lines:
    TSO ALLOCATE PATH('/dev/null')
I get:
    IKJ....I PATH ('/DEV/NULL') NOT IN CATALOG OR CATALOG CAN NOT BE ACCESSED.

Slightly different in that the harmful translation is performed *before*
attempting
to elaborate the command.  ISPF should *never* convert the case of the TSO
command; just pass it to the TMP as typed.

>Tools such as SDSF which display the syslog would then again make sure only
>harmless characters are displayed..

ISPF is well aware of terminal code pages and filters nondisplable characters.
ISPF support was glad to fix by APAR an error I discovered in this processing.
Don't know about SDSF from the TSO READY prompt.

>Opinions? I'm thinking about sending an RCF asking for clear description of
>this.

Ouch!  You'll be in a thicket of code pages and CCSIDs.  They *might* provide
CP037-based list of characters and hex code points.  How useful would that
information be?  I doubt they'll respect case in operator commands even where
it matters, such as UNIX mountpoints.

-- gil