Getting OT here but in Word you can readily turn off smart quotes and or use
insert symbol when you want a true " or '.

Charles

<snip>

​Hum, my guess on this is that that publications people are using a "smart
editor" to create their documentation. Much like MS Word (may it be accursed)​

​ inserts "smart quotes" when I want inch and foot marks (" and '). Either
that, or they are not using the proper mark up to tell their publishing
software "this is code, kept you hands off it!"