If the "update a table row" logic has no imbedded CICS commands it won't be
interrupted by CICS, so the updater will have no competition, thus no
serialization is required [I am talking about "regular" CICS tasks, dispatched
on QTCB, not those fancy running on "open TCBs"].
However, it is required during the table re-allocation as the logic does need
to call CICS for memory re-allocation [which may or may not cause the task to
get re-dispatched].

Anyway, looks like you have already coded the required service.

-Victor-

---------------------------
Because your average COBOL programmer, in my experience, knows "bupkis" abound
dynamic memory allocation.  Perhaps I am wrong, but as far as I know I am the
only one in our shop who ever uses it.  As for your concern about serializing
storage between multiple concurrent tasks, I don't know of situations that
would require this.  This is intended for use within a single run-unit.  But
even if a table was shared between multiple tasks (within a CICS region I can
only imagine) you have this concern with our without "dynamic tables".  You'd
have to serialize updates in either case, so I don't see why dynamic capacity
tables would cause any additional heartache.

Frank