From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 6:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Interesting C library file open mis-diagnosis

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> > Was there a job log message, S213-rc identifying the catenand?
>
> Yes,
>
> 15.52.57 JOB01527  IEC141I 013-18,IGG0191B,xxxxxxPL,
> PLKED,ASSEMOBJ-0009,1D41,LS050A,  325
>    325             DATASET.NAME(CZAISAUT)
>
> When I spotted that I figured out the problem. But I started out
> looking at the program (PLINK) listing. When a program says "this is
> my problem" it ought to know what it's talking about, right?
>
> Charles

​I would generally agree with your statement. I will also say that I'd bet that
the data in the error message came from the results of a RDJFCB, or equivalent,
service. Unfortunately, this service's handling of concatenated DDs is rather
poor. Also (I'm fairly sure), when I/O is done against​

​a DD, unless an "EOV exit" (
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idad400/eefsds.htm)
is specified, there is no feedback as to which DSN in the concatenation
actually had the I/O error. The aforementioned exit does cause this information
to be fed back, but can be used to know when the program "switches" (goes to
end-of-data) on one DSN to another to update a counter in the program. The
program
with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN