At what point in time does the 'expiration date' of a data set get written
to its catalog entry?

It seems you can allocate a data set with an EXPDT, but a subsequent LISTCAT
will show 'EXPIRATION------0000.000'.  There is a mention in
'SYS1.MACLIB(IEFJFCBN)' that

"
NOTE: JFCBXPDT is not valid until the data set
      is actually allocated."

I run an IEBDG to add a record to the data set, (which will cause it to
be allocated), but a subsequent LISTCAT still shows the
'EXPIRATION------0000.000'.

But I have seen catalog entries that have an expiration date other than
0000.000,
so when does this get updated?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Paul