This elementary question has been promoted to at least middle if not high
school. I for one am still itching to learn why it's deemed worthwhile. In any
case, I suggest putting a script in place to simplify (re)specification. The
sample below can be adapted to the user's environment.

It's assumed that the SMPE release HLQ is OSRnn, where nn is the release id
like 13 or 21. DSN and VOL can be specified, or the Rexx can be typed on a 3.4
display that shows the data set on the volume. The maintenance user catalog is
likewise 'MVSRnn.ICF.MASTER'.

/* REXX */
ARG dsn vol
IF vol = "" THEN DO /* assume ISPF 3.4 */
  ADDRESS ISPEXEC "VGET (ZDLVOL)" /* avail on ISPF 3.4 screen */
  vol = ZDLVOL
END
dsn = STRIP(dsn,B,"'")
TRACE C
"DEL '"dsn"' NSCR" ,
     "CAT('MVSRnn.ICF.MASTER')"
"DEF NVSAM (NAME('"dsn"') DEVT(3390) VOL("vol"))" ,
     "CAT('MVSRnn.ICF.MASTER')"
"DEF ALIAS (NAME('OSRnn."dsn"') REL('"dsn"'))" ,
     "CAT('MVSRnn.ICF.MASTER')"

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson