For historical reasons lost in the Mists of Time, the explanations for z/OS BCP system abends are in System Codes, while those for DFSMS abends are in System Messages. (It took me years to realize why I always seemed to be looking in the wrong place!)

Basically, for batch jobs, if you do not specify TIME, it will be taken from the TIME specified on the JOBCLASS statement (JES2) or its default, 30 minutes if TIME has not been specified on JOBCLASS. (There is a JES3 equivalent that I no longer recall and did not look up.)

If there is an IEFUTL exit, it can modify the TIME value based on any data accessible to the exit when it runs. Because we don't know what people might be testing for to allow or disallow more time in the exit (or, for that matter, to increase the time!), your local batch job standards document or system programmer are the sources of information about how to get IEFUTL to allow more time.

Although System Codes does not mention IEFUTL for some reason (I have submitted an RCF), it does cover the other reasons:

322
Explanation: One of the following occurred:
O - The system took a longer time to run a job, job step, or procedure than the time specified in one of the following:
  – The TIME parameter of the EXEC or JOB statement
  – The standard time limit specified in the job entry subsystem
O - For a started task under the master subsystem, the TIME parameter was not specified on the PROC statement of the catalogued procedure, and the PPT entry did not indicate a system task

System action: The system abnormally ends the job, job step, or procedure.

Programmer response: If the TIME parameter was not specified on the PROC statement of the catalogued procedure, add the TIME parameter or add a PPT entry for the PGM parameter. Otherwise, check for program errors. If none exist, specify a longer time in the TIME parameter. Then run the job again.

Source: System Management Facilities (SMF)

Peter wrote:
Hello

I am running which is a long running job but it keeps abending with s322. I
have used all the long running WLM initiators but still abends. I am not
sure if IEFUTL exit is restricting it.

The error message doesn't produce much information to diagnose.

Is there a way to bypass any EXIT which might be timing out the Jobs ?
<snip>

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie