On 15 September 2016 at 02:41, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
> Tony Harminc wrote:
>>What, in this context, is an MVS subsystem? ...And where is this
>>text from -- evidently not the RACF Security Administrator's Guide?
>
> You are allowed to take a look at the Administrator's Guide. :)

I already had, and the phrase "MVS subsystem" does not appear in that book.

> But here's a copy/paste:
>
> "TSO and MVS also require that the first character of user IDs be uppercase
> A - Z, # (X'7B'), $ (X'5B'), or @ (X'7C')."

That says nothing about "subsystem". You appear to have inserted the
word, and I'm just trying to understand why and with what meaning.

> So what does "MVS" mean in this context? The Administrator's Guide doesn't
> say. "Not z/OS UNIX System Services" is a reasonable answer, but it might
> be a partial one.

I obviously wasn't clear: It's the "subsystem" part I'm asking about,
not the "MVS" part. I know at least a couple of meanings of the word
"subsystem" in MVS. But I don't know of any such usage that sets these
additional requirements for userids. Unless you are using it with some
trivial meaning like "stuff that runs on MVS that isn't UNIX or TSO
and somehow, you know, does stuff with userids".

Tony H.