This discussion has not quite devolved into a full-fledged snarkfest, but I
feel somewhat wounded by an earlier post dismissing us z-whiners for having
lost our lust for digital adventure. Here is what we are: grownups working for
companies large or small that are motivated by their own long-term interests.
It takes only one software-piracy lawsuit to devour far more than our own
contribution to the bottom line. We have to live by rules that may or may not
be intended to protect us. The penalty for violating corporate policy can be
severe in the extreme.

What we are not: sophomores hunched over a personal computer in our parents'
basement, where we're free to do whatever we want as long we don't get grounded
for missing curfew. What the PFK can get away with in his private world has no
bearing on how we are obliged to solve business problems at the behest and
pleasure of real business owners.

It may be true that historically we had a lot more latitude than we do today. I
lament the good ol days as much as the next person, but then is not now. And
BTW Dilbert is real. Batman is imaginary. Just look around your office to see
the difference.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson