Hi Skip,

I found this blurb about RECLAIMCA in the DFSMS book "AMS for catalogs" at the
1.13 level under the ALTER section:

<quote>
RECLAIMCA|NORECLAIMCA  Specifies the CA reclaim attribute of a key-sequence
data set (KSDS).

   RECLAIMCA  Specifies that the DASD space for empty control areas (CAs) will
be reclaimed so that it can reused for that KSDS.  CA reclaim cannot reclaim
space for:
Partially empty CAs
Empty CAs that already existed when CA reclaim was enabled
CAs with RBA 0
CAs with the highest key of the KSDS
Data sets processed with GSR.
    NORECLAIMCA  Specifies that the DASD space for empty control areas (CAs)
will not be reclaimed.      You can disable CA reclaim at the system level with
the IGDSMSxx member of PARMLIB or with the SETSMS command. This does not change
CA reclaim attributes in the catalog.    For more information, see the topic
about reclaiming CA space in z/OS DFSMS Using Data Sets.

</quote>

The comment in the doc about disabling CA reclaim not changing the reclaim
attribute in the catalog lends credence to your comment about the ALTER command
being accepted and turning it on/off even though CA reclaim isn't active.

HTH,

Rex