On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 12:13:16 -0400, Mark Jacobs  wrote:

>CVTLSO is all zero on our system, and we're using STP.

According to that white paper, it depends on how the HMC is configured.
A number of shops choose to set CVTLSO=0 and ignore leap seconds
(the "stering" option) because a (decreasing?) number of ISVs, including
(once?) IBM are inconsistent with each other and even within their own
product sets on conventions to deal with CVTLSO.  If CVTLSO=0:

o It doesn't matter.

o Response-sensitive peripherals are not disturbed

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~nathanael/ntpd/leap-second.html

Search for:
    amazon google leap second

... even spreading the leap second over several hours cause perceptible
disruption.

-- gil