You can also try to create the catalog empty. (Define UCAT)

Then catalog the ds you need and you can perform the rename.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 2:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: VVDS points to non-existent catalog

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Sean Gleann <sean.gle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've made a stupid mistake with one of my z/OS systems, and now I'm
> hoping that someone can help me extricate myself..
>
> I was in the process of moving a user catalog from one disk to another.
>
> Following examples from documentation on the IBM web site...
> Did an EXPORT TEMPORARY of the ucat to a 'flat' file, followed by
> DELETE catname RECOVERY USERCATALOG, and then a DEFINE of the catalog
> on it's new volume.
> (All going well so far - I should know better)
>
> The subsequent attempt at an IMPORT of the 'flat' file resulted in a
> JCL error 'data set not found'.
>
> If I use ISPF 3.4 to look at all the files on the disk involved, I can
> see that the file does in fact exist.
> If I try 'I' or 'S', or 'browse', etc, I get 'data set not catalogued'
>
> The problem is that the flat file I created has a name that was
> aliased to the catalog I've just deleted and redefined.
> (foot...gun...BANG)
>
> The VVDS entry for the export file points to a catalog that - while it
> exists - is empty.
>
> I've tried numerous attempts at RECATALOG and DELETE NVR NOSCRATCH,
> but nothing works because SMS can't find the data it needs to complete
> the task I specify.

​You tried something like the below & it failed?

//RECAT   JOB (H00000I),'JOHN MCKOWN',
//         CLASS=Z,
//         MSGCLASS=X,
//         NOTIFY=&SYSUID
//STEP010  EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD   *
 DEF CLUSTER(NAME(SYS1.OS141774.SCPPEENU) -
     VOLUME(LIHTS1) -
     RECATALOG ) -
     CAT(CATALOG.ICF.VI12CAT.MCAT)
/*
//
LIHTS1 DD DISP=OLD,UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=LIHTS1
/*EOF

​

> To add to the problem, the same catalog also had my SMS SCDS/ACDS
> aliased there, among numerous other datasets necessary for IPL.
>
> Yes, all very stupid, I know, and I believe I've learnt a very harsh
> lesson.
> But if anyone has got any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
>
> Sean

Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/

Maranatha! <><