OK, I feel stupid. Not an unfamiliar feeling, especially when SMP/E is
involved. But I think I mostly figured this out, and am looking for
confirmation.

I have a package that installs fine, but recently someone said "You should
support using RFPREFIX in your provided JCL". This was prompted by a note in
our Program Directory:
Note: SMP/E requires the high-level qualifier in the RFDSNPFX field to be
single-level: for example, BANANA.PEEL will cause GIM20311E errors.

And that note, of course, was based on our having found that to be true.

The only quasi-decent description of RFPREFIX I could find is in:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.gim1000/gim1123.htm

Reading that doc and experimentation suggests that RFPREFIX pretty well does
that it sounds like: gets prefixed to the RFDSNPFX value. So if the SMPMCS
contains:
++FUNCTION(VVSH710) FILES(2) RFDSNPFX(VSH) REWORK(2016166)

Then if RFPREFIX(BANANA) were added to the RECEIVE command in the provided JCL,
it would look for
BANANA.VSH.VVSH710.F1 and BANANA.VSH.VVSH710.F2
instead of VSH.VVSH710.F1 and VSH.VVSH710.F2

So my questions are:

1)     Is this correct? Have I missed any subtleties that come to mind?

2)     Is there a cleaner way to specify this than just adding
RFPREFIX(whatever) when needed? I had hoped to be able to provide, say,
RFPREFIX(&RFPREFIX) and then use a set symbol, but I know that won't work.
There are already instructions in the provided JCL that say to make some global
changes, so I'm thinking that I should include it with something clearly
invalid, maybe: RFPREFIX(!prefix!) and add it to the list of things to change,
with a note that if your data sets really are just VSH.whatever, to remove it
completely.
Just trying to make this as easy/painless as possible for people.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
--
...phsiii