Peter, yes, you are correct. I was thinking too narrowly, of TIME= from the
JOBCLASS being the same or longer than on the JOB, as stated in the question.

I liked your bucket analogy. A longer JOBCLASS TIME= than JOB TIME= will not
allow a step to run for longer than what is on the JOB card. Indeed, no step
can exceed what remains in the bucket when the step starts.. It is the same for
a longer TIME= on the EXEC. The JOB TIME= is one time to rule them all...

For testing, I always use a short TIME=, LINE= being as small as needed and
with ,C and estimate the output DASD in CYLS and specify as primary with no
secondary. If it loops, the system notices it earlier than I would.
Fire-and-forget.