On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:08:29 -0500, Paul Gilmartin
(0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu) wrote about "Re:
IEBGENER REblock FB--VB" (in
<9427079226127586.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu>):

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 00:31:51 +0000, David W Noon  wrote:
[snip]
>> usually name the main member it is aliasing. This is because the usual
>> instructions to install one of the sort-based GENER utilities include
>> renaming IEBGENER to OLDGENER.
>>
> Always assuming that the systems programmer followed instructions and
> did ALIAS rather than copy.

Well, not following instructions can cause problems down the road. If
OLDGENER is not available, the sort-based driver program would not be
able to revert to the original in situations where the sort-based
program cannot figure out what to do. Not all of IEBGENER's
functionality was replicated in newer code and, at least for SYNCGENER,
the name OLDGENER was hard-coded for the fall-back option.

> But DDLIST shows me ICEGENER in LPALIB and IEBGENER in LINKLIB, and
> the eyecatchers leave me confident it's IEBGENER.
>
> It would sure be nice if IEBGENER, like HLASM, identified itself in all the
> empty space in the first SYSPRINT line, even as far as PTF level.
>
> In some cases, IBM (I think) provides the aliases (many!):
> _________ IEWL                1   IEWBLINK   000008A0   020505   00   ANY   24
> _________ IEWLDRGO            1   IEWBLINK   000008A0   020505   00   ANY   24
> _________ IEWLF128            1   HEWLKED    00010688   01120E   00    24   24
> _________ IEWLF440            1   HEWLKED    00010688   01120E   00    24   24
> _________ IEWLF880            1   HEWLKED    00010688   01120E   00    24   24
> _________ IEWLOAD             1   IEWBLINK   000008A0   020505   00   ANY   24
> _________ IEWLOADI            1   IEWBLINK   000008A0   020505   00   ANY   24
> _________ IEWLOADR            1   IEWBLINK   000008A0   020505   00   ANY   24

The linkage editor and binder have long had a myriad of aliases.
Sensible programmers use the aliases LINKEDIT and BINDER, as needed, to
build load modules of whichever format.

> and even:
> _________ IEBGENR             1   IEBGENER   0000A820   05000E   00    24   24
>
> Is this a hint that the user should code IEBGENR rather than IEBGENER to get
> the site's preferred copy program?  And that if the site creates an alias for
> ICEGENER that alias should be IEBGENR, not IEBGENER?

The IEBGENR alias appears to me to be a kluge to overcome some dodgy
JCL, and adding an alias to SYS1.LINKLIB was deemed quicker than fixing
the JCL. Avoid kluges.

An alias should always be applied to a base member, not another alias.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]
david.w.n...@googlemail.com (David W Noon)