On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:

> I think that it would be great to use bash for z/OS, but the current ports
> that I am aware of do not support local spawn of normal shell commands
> (_BPX_SHAREAS)  like the z/OS UNIX shell. Other than performance, the most
> important implication of this is that you can't access DD's from shell
> commands in a batch job since all commands are forked in a separate OMVS
> address space.    I don't view dynamically loaded bash built-ins as a
> general solution to this.
>
> This would be a major change to the current open source code base, which is
> probably why it has never been done.

​Correct. I was actually looking at this when I was doing my port of BASH
for the CBT. But I've basically abandoned my port since Rocket Software​
took over the ported tools from IBM. I figured that they'd do a better job
than I. BASH does some really strange things to run commands. It's not a
simple fork()/exec() sequence which would be relatively simple to replace
with a spawn(), which is required to honor _BPXAS_SHAREAS.

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/

Maranatha! <><