On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 12:48:03 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>But my thought processes have been contaminated by the superior (in
>this case) facilities of VMSES/E.  VMSES/E has no ACCEPT nore any
>analogue if the DLIB zone.  This enables multi-layer VMFREMOV
>(analog of RESTORE).  Suppose a function that used to work fails
>and I suspect it was broken by service.  I can VMFREMOV to the
>state of a week ago and re-test with the failing input.  If it continues
>to fail, I can further VMFREMOV to a month ago.  And so on.
>Can't do likewise with SMP/E.  RESTORE can't be used, by itself
>to revert to an arbitrary prior level.

This is why my preferred method of installing service is to clone my target
and distribution zones, and apply the service to the clone. When it looks
like the APPLY was successful, I'd IPL (for z/OS) or otherwise activate (for
other kinds of products). When I'm satisfied that the old zones are no longer
needed, I'd delete the old zones.

--
Tom Marchant