On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Peter Hunkeler <p...@gmx.ch> wrote:

> >'TZ=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/3:00'
>  >
> >http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/
> com.ibm.zos.v2r1.cbcpx01/cbc1p2559.htm
> " If this daylight savings time rule is omitted altogether, the values in
> the rule default to the standard American daylight savings time rules
> starting at 02:00:00 the second Sunday in March and ending at 02:00:00 the
> first Sunday in November."
>

> And from the same description you can see that the actual strings being
> used to name the standard and the DST periods (CET and CEST in the example
> above) have no meaning to the system. You can set them to anything you want
> without influencing the behaviour.
>

> The strings are only meant to show something meaningful to users.
>

> The first string is mandatory. The second string, in addition to be meant
> for the user, is also a flag to tell the system to apply DST according to
> the standard rules (mentione above), or by the rules specified.
>

> So, with
>

> TZ=WINTER-1SUMMER,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/3:00
> date '%a %b %e %T %Z %Y'
>

> will display
> Fr Nov 4 08:26:17 WINTER 2016
> today, but had displayed
> Fr Oct 28 08:26:17 SUMMER 2016
> last week.
>

> --Peter Hunkeler

​Another indication that, at least at the time this was done, IBM was not
overly concerned with making z/OS UNIX be acceptable to the "real" UNIX
community. They just wanted to stamp "POSIX compliant" on z/OS for
marketing purposes. ​Aside: I really appreciate what Mr. Schoen of IBM has
done to help make z/OS UNIX more useful (bpxwunix & bpxwdyn come to mind).

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/

Maranatha! <><