Hello Listers,

A curious situation from Saturday night. At an acquaintances site, they usually
do a POR (no idea why and I'm afraid to ask) for the time change.  They also
like to sit for an hour as they believe the DB2 logs will be corrupted (not a
DB2 user but I have my doubts about that).  Anyway, the sysprog (who is
offsite) had OPS shut the machine down and he would call back an hour later to
IPL. But due to a medical issue he never did call back or IPL the machine. So
through a chain of events, the acquaintance (a mainframer but not a sysprog)
called me for help.  So its now 0630 and they are hours behind. I get them
logged onto the HMC and walk them through an IPL.  During this process I am
questioned about changing the time as they do it on the HMC (what??).  I tell
them we don't have time (no pun intended) to figure out why or where he usually
changed the time on the HMC and we were going to use the SET CLOCK command from
the console.  So a miracle occurs and the IPL goes without incident, we set the
clock, and they start to unravel their application mess.

But they are now in a state I've never seen before.  Local time is good, but
GMT/UTC is daylight savings time.  The only thing I can come up with is that
they set local and GMT equal. And there is no prompt or timezone parameter in
the CLOCKxx parmlib member.  So there're asking me what if they IPL again and
the time hasn't been changed on the HMC??  As an STP user (the greatest thing
since sliced bread) its been years since I've had to manually do anything with
changing clocks, but as I recall we never did anything other than a SET CLOCK
command.

So if they IPL, what will the local time be?  Is there a reason to change the
time on the HMC?  And the only time I've ever seen GMT set is at the TOD prompt
at IPL, true?