The elapsed time is 10 minutes.

Before we get off-track too much, the end result we are looking for is:
We want the HSM backup process to *always* use a scratch tape. We never want it to ask for an existing tape to append to.

We will recycle the tapes to combine them at our convenience.

But, as best I can tell, the HSM control parms are already set to not use an existing tape:
SETSYS
  PARTIALTAPE(
   BACKUP(MARKFULL) -
   MIGRATION(MARKFULL))