g...@gabegold.com (Gabe Goldberg) writes:
> Though even z Systems can't provide actual temporal relocation, it's
> interesting to consider what advice mainframe professionals would give
> their younger selves if the opportunity existed. And veterans' wisdom
> applies to Generation Z. Best to receive it now, rather than in 30
> years when someone else asks what advice they'd give to their younger
> selves

we were out making customer executive presentation on 3-tier
architecture, involving ethernet, routers, mainframes, etc. ... when we
were taking sharp barbs in the back from the token-ring and SAA forces
(communication group strongly fighting off distributed computing and
client/server, trying to preserve their dumb terminal paradigm and
install base). some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#3tier

Part of the T/R forces critism involved comparing 16mbit t/r with what
it claimed was ethernet ... but they only way they could make those
numbers come out was if they used pre-product 3mbit ethernet before
listen-before-transmit. I would make facetious references that obviously
somewhere in the bowels of Armonk (or Raleigh) that they have
time-machine to justify comparing 1990 token-ring technology with 1980
ethernet.

as an aside, my wife had also included 3-tier architecture in response
to large, very secure, gov network campus request ... and took a lot of
heat & FUD.

as I've periodically mentioned, in the late 80s a senior disk engineer
got a talked scheduled at the world-wide, internal, annual communication
group conference supposedly on 3174 performance ... but opened the talk
with the statement that the communication group was going to be
responsible for the demise of the disk division. As referenced the
communication group was fightting off distributed computing and
client/server and the disk division was seeing data fleeing the
datacenter to more distributed computing friendly platforms with drop in
disk sales. The disk division had come up with a number of solutions but
were constantly vetoed by the communication group (with its corporate
strategic ownership of everything that crossed the datacenter walls).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.htmL#terminal

In the early 80s, we were working with the director of NSF and suppose
to get $20M to interconnect the NSF supercomputer centers. Then congress
cuts the budget, some other things happened and finally an RFP was
release (in part based on what we already had running). Internal
politics prevent us from bidding and the NSF director tries to help by
writing the company a letter (with support of other agencies), but that
just makes the internal politics worse (as did comments that what we
already had running was at least 5yrs ahead of all RFP responses. As
regional networks connect into the centers, it evolves into the NSFNET
backbone, precursor to the modern internet. some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#nsfnet
and posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#nsfnet

somebody collected the email going around the communication group with
lots of misinformation and FUD ... and forwarded it to us ...  heavily
snipped and REDACTED to protect the guilty:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email870109
and other SNA/VTAM misinformation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006x.html#email870302
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011.html#email870306