I believe my problem now stems from the default statements provided with the
webserver.  See below, these statements come before my virtual server
statements.

<Directory />
   Options FollowSymLinks - this is the original ibm setup.

    AllowOverride None
    FileETag All -INode

   Require all denied - this is the original ibm setup
</Directory>

The error message in the logs files is:  AH01630: client denied by server
configuration: /etc/websrv1/'

The browser message is:

IBM_HTTP_Server Server at test1 Port 80

It seems the ' Require all granted'  in the virtual server statement maybe are
not being recognized.

# START Virtual host 1
<VirtualHost test1.com:80>
ServerName MVSTEST1.li.pch.com
   DocumentRoot /etc/websrv1/PCHshare/
   DirectoryIndex welcome.html
</VirtualHost>
<Directory /etc/websrv1/PCHshare/>
 Require all granted
</Directory>
#
# START Virtual host 2
<VirtualHost test2:80>
   ServerName MVSTEST2.li.pch.com
   DocumentRoot /etc/websrv1/
   DirectoryIndex welcome.html
</VirtualHost>
<Directory /etc/websrv1/PCHshare/>
 Require all granted
</Directory>
#

Any help is appreciated with these directives, thanks Matt