>I presume the target of Ed's STOSM is in the PSW he's fixing to load. So,
>after changing the code to use the STNSM, he'd need to add an OI
>PSWMASK,X'03' before the LPSW, as it really sounds like he doesn't want
>run disabled after that.

>Right?

Nope. The value placed into "PSW" is the time-of-STNSM PSW mask which
would have those bits on.
The resulting PSW would have those bits off.

So the value in "PSW" is what is wanted with respect to the enablement
bits.

I will mention that, unless you are returning to your caller by PR or
perhaps your RB ends, you might want to avoid using a "model PSW" and
instead use "EPSW" in order to make sure that you have all of the current
bits that might conceivably apply (now and in the future). You'd still do
the STNSM approach because the EPSW-captured PSW might have an in-transit
PER bit. Unfortunately EPSW is, I believe, pretty slow.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design