The Integrated 3270 Console definitely works remotely. I'm using it now from my
dining room table. A few points:

-- The option is listed on HMC under Recovery (not under Daily). No idea why.

-- You have to define a name for it in CONSOLxx with DEVNUM(HMCS) just as you
do for SYSCONS. Be sure to include &SYSCLONE somewhere in the NAME().

-- The Integrated 3270 can be used as a NIP console.

-- Only one user at a time can open the 3270 console in each LPAR. This might
be an issue for larger shops with multiple operations staff. However, a second
user may 'steal' the console; especially important if the first user has lost
connectivity or cannot otherwise release it.

-- You do not log on or off the 3270 console. You just run it. Similar to
Operating System Messages. When you're finished, you close the window.

We installed the non-Java HMC microcode level installed shortly after I learned
about it at SHARE in San Antonio. That was before we had z/OS 2.1 rolled out,
so I have no experience using 3270 console with Java. I cannot prove this with
doc, but AFAIK the Integrated 3270 never actually worked on MVS before 2.1.
IIRC it did work on z/VM for years before that.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company