StackOverflow and other StackExchange sites (like SuperUser) are Question and
Answer sites. That doesn't mean they don't work, it means they are different.
They are not a Forum, nor a Mailing List. On SO you'd ask about programming. On
SU about setting up software. You'd get answers. Which are specific, concrete,
answers. Comments on questions and answers can be made (once you have 50
reputation points) to elicit more information or make the speculative "Did you
read...?".

The arrangement is "community regulated" with Moderators in addition.

A huge advantage (I'd hope it would be) for Apache Spark is that some
developers of Spark-for-elsewhere attend and are active contributors.

It could work very well, but you have to remember (and be aware of first) the
rules, for both asking and answering. It is not anything like
IBM-MAIN-just-with-fancier-stuff.

For developers of a product, stating affiliation in an answer (you can also
mention in your "profile") is always good, and at times mandatory. Questions on
IBM's implementation of Spark will be very welcome, and will have a natural
tendency to "promote". Outright promotion is problematic. Being clear with
affiliation helps around the borders.