On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:32:27 -0600, John McKown wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:12 AM, R.S. wrote:
>
>> Of course I can (and I do) "cd /yyy/target/dir" before pax -r, but I can't
>> believe it's the only option to skin the cat.
>
>​You only want a clew (older English)? The clew is: look at the -s
>parameter. And think strangely.

Rather than memorize all the options on the man page, I continue to rely on:
    ( cd /yyy/target/dir && pax -r )
(always "&&" rather than ";" lest I commit a typo in the "cd".)

John suggested an option (which I've tried but not memorized) to do a sed-like
transformation on output filenames.  I found it even succeeds in extracting
to "/dev/fd/1" so I can pipe to further filtering.  I think there's a simpler
option to modify the directory prefix.

-- gil