Here are some more no additional charge IBM candidates for SMP/E
installation practice:

5655-J51 - XML Toolkit for z/OS
5655-Y30 - CICS Transaction Server for z/OS Developer Trial
5655-TY6 - Enterprise COBOL Developer Trial
5665-IMZ - IBM Installation Manager for z/OS
5697-Q05 - DB2 Accessories Suite for z/OS (*)
5655-TAC - Management Console for DB2 and IMS for z/OS (*)
5655-V93 - IMS Tools Base for z/OS (*)
5655-TC1 - DB2 Tools Customizer for z/OS (*)

(*) No additional charge if you have a license to the corresponding product
(DB2 for z/OS or IMS, as applicable).

I think I'd recommend the first two products, in that order, as good
practice. Here's the Program Directory for the XML Toolkit for z/OS
(current direct link, subject to change):

https://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/zs/en/zsl03400usen/ZSL03400USEN.PDF

and here are the Program Directories for the CICS Transaction Server
Developer Trial (current direct links, subject to change):

http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/i1333750.pdf
http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/i1333782.pdf

I found a reasonably convenient non-IBM example. Dynatrace AppMon, a
monitoring tool, includes a SMP/E-installable z/OS agent. Details here:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=221381151

They offer a trial license for their product:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/EVAL/My+dynaTrace+Trial

You may also be interested in attending IBM course code ES26G ("SMP/E for
z/OS Workshop"). That workshop is available online, self-paced, or in
classroom. I see upcoming classroom sessions scheduled all over the world:
Australia, India, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, United States, Singapore,
Russia, Indonesia, Poland, New Zealand, Spain, Germany, France, Argentina,
Peru, Turkey, Portugal, Angola, Mexico, Costa Rica.... And that's just
through May, 2017. To get information on that workshop visit:

http://www.ibm.com/services/learning

then enter ES26G in the "Search for learning content" box.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com