From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 6:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: New free / open source z/OS tools from Dovetailed Technologies

FWIW, we use z/OS make to build stuff with c/c++/assembler/java:

- as  command to invoke HLASM
- c++ or c89 commands for c / c++ compiles
- c89 for binding (according to the docs, cob2 internally invokes c89 for
binding)
- various Unix REXX scripts, like one to invoke EDCDSECT
- java is compiled as it is typed on the workstation; ant scripts
incrementally build and upload jars as required.

The z/OS shell commands run the same compilers, so they can be used to
build modules in PDS/Es, so they are not just for building z/OS Unix stuff.

I wouldn't expect cob2 to be much different.

Kirk Wolf
http://dovetail.com
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC<http://dovetail.com/>
dovetail.com
Using Co:Z SFTP-server, systems with OpenSSH or another SFTP compatible client
may transfer files directly to z/OS datasets, controlling all aspects of
dataset ...

PS> I don't expect that many on this list will be interested in using make
on z/OS.
For one thing, you would have to agree to using the Unix file system for
source files.
Next, the learning curve for Makefile recipes is pretty steep.
The payoff is that you have a way of incrementally building projects with
many source files and compile units, since make uses a dependency model to
figure out what files need to be recompiled.  C compilers (z/OS XLC/C++
included) can automatically generate Makefile #include dependencies, so
your incremental builds can be even smarter.  With some hacking, you could
probably invoke the COBOL compiler to scan and generate ADATA and then
generate the COPY dependencies for make from there.