Looks like your RETPD=45 is overriding the SMS parameters.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Thigpen
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:52 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IMS log files question

 From the job logs where the file is created:

//DFSSLOGP  DD DSN=IMSVS.SLDSP.%SSID.D%ARDATE.T%ARTIME.V%ARVERS,
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),RETPD=45,
//             UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=SIMS00,SPACE=(CYL,(1,1))

IGD101I SMS ALLOCATED TO DDNAME (DFSSLOGP)
         DSN (IMSVS.SLDSP.DBCT.D17018.T0040131.VF3        )
         STORCLAS (SCIMSLOG) MGMTCLAS (MCIMSLOG) DATACLAS (        )
         VOL SER NOS= HIMSL2

 From the management class panel:
MGMTCLAS EXPIRE     EXPIRE        RET    PARTIAL      PRIMARY
NAME     NON-USAGE  DATE/DAYS    LIMIT   RELEASE      DAYS
--(2)--- ---(3)---  ---(4)----  --(5)--  ----(6)----  ---(7)--
MCIMSLOG         7           7  NOLIMIT  NO                  0

SMS is something I am just learning, but, if I am reading the manual right, I
would expect the files to be gone after 7 days.

But, from the VTOC:
Created  Expires
2017.018 2017.063

It appears that I am missing something. Because here is the vtoc dates for one
of the old files:
Created Expires
2015.190 2015.235

Tony Thigpen

Peter Hunkeler wrote on 01/18/2017 01:55 AM:

>> I am reviewing the system VTOCs and I see a lot of IMS log files that
>> contain a date/timestamp in their names. I know they are created by
>> the IMS system using the skeleton proc member ARCHJCL. What I am
>> seeing is that the file was created with a retention period of 45 days.
>>
>> //DFSSLOGP  DD DSN=IMSVS.SLDSP.%SSID.D%ARDATE.T%ARTIME.V%ARVERS,
>> //             DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),RETPD=45,
>> //             UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=SIMS00,SPACE=(CYL,(1,1))
>>
>> But, I have daily files going back almost 2 years.
>

> Is the RETPD honoured at allocation time? Look for message IGD17364I in the
> IMS joblog. What value is set for "RET LIMIT" in the management class. If it
> is 0, then EXPDT and RETPD will be ignored, and EXPIRE NON-USAGE and EXPIRE
> DATE/DAYS determine when space managment considers to delete the data set.
> Any of those could be NOLIMIT. Or the value is larger than your "almost 2
> years".
>

> Have you looked a the "Expiration date" in ISPF for any of those data data
> sets?
>

> --
> Peter Hunkeler

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address.
Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly
by receipt of this email.