[Default] On 6 Feb 2017 11:53:05 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
li...@akphs.com (Phil Smith III) wrote:

>Network World:
>
>By some estimates there will be more than 84,000 open positions in this
>field by 2020.
>

>http://www.networkworld.com/article/3161857/hardware/as-baby-boomers-retire-
>the-shortage-of-mainframe-professionals-grows-more-acute.html

Given the slow and steady attrition of z series shops and movement to
the cloud, I do not believe it.  Are the salaries for mainframe
technical people increasing?  Are there mass recruitments for COBOL
programmers or increased salaries and contract rates?  I am grateful
to have been able to retire when I did.  I doubt the estimates given
on the number of lines of COBOL source for programs that are still
actively in production given the number of systems that have been
replaced by packages such as SAP.  What is the attendance at SHARE
these days?  I doubt it is as high as when I was participating in it.
Guide has been gone since 1999.  I doubt many of the newer ISV
packages are written in COBOL.  There isn't the same small system
support for the 360 architecture there used to be and I doubt many
organizations upgrade to z from the IBM i series.  If any organization
starts out on any system that is ASCII/ISO oriented, I don't see that
organization going through the pain to get to z/OS and conversion to
EBCDIC.

Unisys is selling Intel based servers running either OS2200 or MCP,
with at least the OS2200 based systems running with emulated code
through firmware.  I doubt either are being sold to new customers.

Given the various Windows, Linux and Unix offerings I doubt there is
much of a growth market for z series or for any other mainframe
architecture.

Incidentally, how secure is TPF?  I understand that it used be sort of
like Windows 3.1 in that everything was in the same address space for
performance.

If your shop was on Windows or some Unix variant for all of its
processing, would you recommend converting to z series?

Clark Morris