The hardest task in searching the system log is that rarely are you interested
only in a particular character string. What you normally want is the contextual
environment of that string. Even a message id is not very useful if all you get
is the one line containing that id. You really need the full, often multiline
message that starts with message id but generally contains vital information in
subsequent lines.

I don't know of any tool that can do the needful except a special purpose
program written for the purpose. We have one here written eons ago in PLI that
serves a common purpose. Not sure that we're ready to share it, but I’m dubious
of finding a GA tool that satisfy this common requirement. As others have said,
if the log in question is on DASD, you can use ISPF browse to find a target
string and then look at the surrounding text. May be easy; may be really time
consuming.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson